Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster
    Keymaster

Hi everyone, I’ve just sent out the class notes to everyone, and will shortly follow up with the Powerpoints. Feel free to start introducing yourself to each other (you will see my bio towards the front of the notes).

Participant

Hi all,

I’m Felicity. I am an undergrad at Murdoch uni majoring in Community Development and Sustainable Development. I was supposed to have completed my degree already with a Winter practicum in Indonesia…but Covid had other plans. The downside is I won’t graduate until the end of the year. The upside is I get to take this (particularly timely) course with you all. I’m very keen to make the most of my new opportunity!
    I look forward to getting to know you all more of the course of our learning.

Keymaster

Looking to meeting most of you over Zoom tonight! Feel free to introduce yourselves on the Module 1 site over the next couple of days.

Participant

Hi everyone,

My name is Mila and I am a Regional DRR Programme Officer with the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation. I am currently based at the Humanitarian Aid Hub in Bangkok, covering Southeast Asia and the Pacific. In addition to DRM, I also have a background in Climate Science and have prior work experience in community-based and ecosystem-based DRR/Climate Change Adaptation with UNEP and the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement.
    As a strong believer of continuous professional development, I am taking this course to reinforce fundamental DRM/CCA notions and understanding of international frameworks in light of current disasters (e.g. Australian bushfire, COVID-19) and complex emergencies, while gaining practical knowledge of participatory tools and methods, the Project Design Document, and the ISO 31000 risk management process. The proposed course modules are highly relevant to my responsibilities, namely in programme management, DRM/CCA mainstreaming and supporting regional policy dialogue. I am grateful to be hear and look forward to working and getting to know all of you.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Mila Lomarda.
    Participant

Hi All,
    Great to meet you all just now. As i mentioned i am a sustainable development masters student and I work in corporate sustainability and i am really looking forward to hearing from the practitioners we are lucky to have here (and Chris obviously) and also from the other students. I think the course will provide valuable tools for risk management broadly and i’m excited about the real world practicality.
    I’ve got two young boys so i may not get to these calls on time every week but i’ll try my best!
    Chat soon,
    Mitchell

Participant

It was lovely to meet you all over zoom this evening. My name is Kelly Crawford and I am the Public Engagement Coordinator and Bushfire Relief Coordinator for the Baptist Association NSW & ACT. Our organisation is working with Baptist churches in bushfire-affected areas of NSW to resource and equip them for the longer-term recovery work of their local communities. My background is in Nutrition and Dietetics and Public Health so while I have experience in community engagement and program planning, I have a lot of upskilling to do in disaster relief, recovery and resilience-building. I’m very much looking forward to our learning and being able to take that back to my organsation as we navigate a way forward with this work.

Participant

Hi everyone,

I was not able to make the first zoom call but I will meet many of you this coming week over zoom. I am doing the Master of Sustainable Development at Murdoch as well and am very excited to learn more about disaster risk management as it is an incredibly relevant and important topic for the field of sustainability. I am originally from Canada and only arrived in Australia just before the start of the covid crisis for my first semester in this degree. It has been a scary but interesting real time case study of disaster management and the resources/approaches countries around the world have used to deal with it. With climate related disasters becoming more common this course is perfectly timed and the knowledge we will gain will be super useful! Excited to start learning.

Participant

Hi All,

Great to connect with you. I also missed the first zoom discussion, but enjoyed watching the recording and learning of your backgrounds.

I’m currently the Mayor of the City of Mandurah in Western Australia and have a background in community development and the non-profit sector. I spent ten years running a WA based community development charity before starting my current role in 2017.

This is my first semester studying the Masters of Sustainable Development at Murdoch (looking forward to the challenge of re-developing study habits!) and I’m really looking forward to this unit, given its relevance to our current challenges.

Looking forward to working with you all 🙂

Participant

Hi All,
    fI am the International disaster response coordinator for the Christian NGO for which I work – Cooperative Baptist Fellowship. I first met Chris in Aceh after the 2004 Asian Tsunami. At the time, I was living in West Sumatra and went up to Aceh to help – having no background in DR work, but speaking the language fluently, and having a pretty good cultural sense of how to get things done in Indonesia. I have been a participant in a couple of Chris’ on-site trainings and have found them very helpful. I have utilized the “Disaster Risk Management Cycle diagram many times – I have found it to be the single best resource for quickly orienting people to DR work – especially coming in the early stages following a disaster and people on the ground are still grappling with what has happened and what steps they should take next. Since 2004, I have also been involved with responses in one way or another with responses in Yogyakarta (2006), Padang (2009), Mentawai Islands (2010), Japan (2011), Philippines (2013), Nepal (2015), Fiji (2016). I look forward to the broad overview of DR management, while also going into depth with important topics. I am American by birth, but have spent most of my life in Indonesia (since 1972) and now I have been in Penang, Malaysia, for the last 13 years.

Keymaster

This comment on the DRMC should ideally go in discussion under Task 3 (Key Diagrams & Issues), but we currently have a little gremlin in there somewhere which we’re winkling out. You will see that the DRMC is used in the two articles – https://www.torqaid.com/bushfires relating to bushfires, and can also be applied to the Task 7 example of hurricanes/cyclones/typhoons. As Eddy has explained, it also fits well into other hazards such as earthquakes/tsunamis. We’ll be covering the slow-onset version of the DRMC (eg for hazards/climate change) in Module 3, as we will then also the complementary Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) diagram. The article https://www.torqaid.com/drm-framework gives a good overview of these (and other) diagrams. Jpeg versions of these illustrations can also be accessed at https://www.torqaid.com/resources

Participant

Hello hi! Sorry this is a little late but my name is Taryn-Lee and I am one of the Master students at Murdoch University. I am originally from South Africa but moved to Perth at the beginning of this year. I am currently studying Sustainable Development but finished my undergraduate degree last year with a Bachelor of Arts (Majoring in Psychology and Geo-Environmental Studies). I have a passion for the environment and I think it is so important that we take care of this beautiful earth we call home. From our first meeting it was evident that everyone comes from different backgrounds with different experiences. I think this is going to be our biggest strength and I cannot wait for the weeks to come and be able to learn from one another !

Participant

Hi Folks, Roger McKellar here.

I trust this is the right venue to introduce myself to others within the program. I will say right off the start, you are going to have fun and learn lots! I began this program some two years ago, but due to some personal family challenges, I went on to other things and never fully completed the program. Having said that, I am looking forward to this session.

I live in Canada on the west coast. I have been actively involved in health, safety and emergency management for over 40 years now, mostly on the operational side,first in exploration (oil and gas, precious metals, rare earth metals, uranium, potash) and in the Canadian Coast Guard. I have been an emergency first responder and instructor for over 22 of those years.

Charles Sturt University first came to my attention in 2002 when I attended an emergency risk management course at Mt. Macedon north of Melbourne.and then met the emergency management folks at the CSU Bathurst Campus. I went on to complete a Master’s degree in Emergency Management there. I am currently pursuing more graduate level research, but am “on hold” in the Doctor of Public Safety Program with CSU, because the Covid-19 outbreak here in Canada has forced me to suspend all of the active field work that I had planned. In short, I have no field work to demonstrably validate my central thesis. We’ll see how that goes.

The disaster side of the equation has always interested me, being involved in several major interface wildfire events here in Canada, as well as regional flooding and earthquake response. I have volunteered with the Red Cross in humanitarian response at the community level. This course is an excellent resource to enable students to more fully appreciate the impact of disasters on the human world and the animal and environmental framework wherever that may be.

I am looking forward to participating in the program in such a way as to gain insight in this program, but also to take away the tools and strategies needed to better prepare for these human disasters in my own community.

Participant

Hello everyone,
    Its Tshering Tshomo here, I am one of the international students at Murdoch University studying Masters of Sustainability Development. Its was a great pleasure to know you all from our first zoom meeting but unfortunately, I couldn’t attend the second zoom discussion however I have watched the recorded video and got some insight into DRMC and learned from those who shared their practical field experiences in the discussion. I know I fall behind you all because it took me some time to familiarize with this learning structure but I am trying to keep up with you all and looking forward to it. Good luck for everyone and cheers

Participant

Hi,
    I am Ali Neumann from SDC / Swiss Humanitarian Aid, where I am a DRR Advisor for the division Europe, Asia and Americas.
    I’m interested in community level interaction for DRR as well as DRR in fragile contexts. Therefore I am interested specifically in modules 2, 3 and 4.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.