Participant

Hi Folks, Roger McKellar here.

I trust this is the right venue to introduce myself to others within the program. I will say right off the start, you are going to have fun and learn lots! I began this program some two years ago, but due to some personal family challenges, I went on to other things and never fully completed the program. Having said that, I am looking forward to this session.

I live in Canada on the west coast. I have been actively involved in health, safety and emergency management for over 40 years now, mostly on the operational side,first in exploration (oil and gas, precious metals, rare earth metals, uranium, potash) and in the Canadian Coast Guard. I have been an emergency first responder and instructor for over 22 of those years.

Charles Sturt University first came to my attention in 2002 when I attended an emergency risk management course at Mt. Macedon north of Melbourne.and then met the emergency management folks at the CSU Bathurst Campus. I went on to complete a Master’s degree in Emergency Management there. I am currently pursuing more graduate level research, but am “on hold” in the Doctor of Public Safety Program with CSU, because the Covid-19 outbreak here in Canada has forced me to suspend all of the active field work that I had planned. In short, I have no field work to demonstrably validate my central thesis. We’ll see how that goes.

The disaster side of the equation has always interested me, being involved in several major interface wildfire events here in Canada, as well as regional flooding and earthquake response. I have volunteered with the Red Cross in humanitarian response at the community level. This course is an excellent resource to enable students to more fully appreciate the impact of disasters on the human world and the animal and environmental framework wherever that may be.

I am looking forward to participating in the program in such a way as to gain insight in this program, but also to take away the tools and strategies needed to better prepare for these human disasters in my own community.